Friday, October 28, 2011

Revisited ~Coconut milk and pandan steam cake- the recipe




Cut into squares- this is a picture from my album...

The whole cake- if you want to have a smooth texture- cover the cake with a muslin cloth..

Time after time, I always wonder why this cake become one of the top posts in my blog. Apparently, when I first did the post on this cake in February this year, I did not  include the recipe. I thought it was just a no big deal cake- but the popularity of the post had me thinking. So, here I am - spending time to rewrite the recipe, admist my ever mounting work chores. I am sorry if the pictures are old ones taken from my old archive, however- with this entry, I have included the recipe. Sometimes, the idea of sharing the recipe was always in my mind, but I kept thinking of other recipes that I wanted to do. So, here I am- sharing the recipe. I hope you will try this. Double the recipe if  you want to steam it in a round baking pan just like the above picture. The recipe will be very suitable for small cupcake cases. Here goes;


Ingredients

5 pandan leaves, cut into small parts
1 cup of coconut milk ( freshly squeezed - you should get the medium thick liquid)
* If you should use the canned coconut milk- add 1/2 to 1 tbsp of water, (so that it does not become too thick)
1 cup freshly grated coconut - the usual dessicated ones will not bring the flavour and aroma needed in this cake
100g margarine ( I used PLANTA brand)
100g caster sugar ( I have reduced the amount of sugar -originally, it was 150g)
2 eggs
250g self-raising flour- sieved twice
** 1-2 tbsp of plain water (optional)


How

1) Using blender, blend pandan leaves with the coconut milk. Sieve to get rid of the pandan leaves- make sure you get a cup of sieved coconut milk. The colour now, should turn into greenish milk.
2) Beat margarine and caster sugar- until fluffy. Add in eggs one by one- Stir the mixture well.
3) Add in half of the flour and another half of the greenish coconut milk. Stir well.
4) Then, add in the last batch of flour, followed by another half of the greenish coconut milk, at this stage- you can add in the plain water ( if you want to). Stir well. Get ready with your steamer. Make sure that the water is heated moderately well for about 7-8 mins, before you put in your baking pan into the steamer.
5) Grease the baking pan with margarine. Put the mixture into the baking pan. Cover baking pan with muslin cloth or aluminium foil, so that the water from the steamer will not drop into the cake. Steam your cake (45 mins for the round baking pan), please do not attempt to open the cover. After 45 mins, you can test your cake by inserting a skewer. If it comes out clean, your cake is ready.
6) Cool your cake for about 5 mins. Then, it is ready to be cut into squares.



Pandan leaves ( Google Picture)

Pandan shrubs ( google)

Fresh coconut- (google)
Happy baking, everyone.....

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...