Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Easy Moist Lemon Cake

 Easy Moist Lemon Cake

 I baked this at 3.30 in the morning..

Close up of the cake

I have baked this Easy Moist Lemon Cake for a pot luck party at my work place. Initially, I have wanted to bake Carrot Cake, but since, I ran out of time, I decided then to bake an easy cake, that required minimum ingredients and maintenance. As you could see, it seemed to be a flat cake. Yes, it was a flat cake and it took me about an hour and a half to do all the preparations and baking. This cake is full of lemon zests and is quite moist as well. For this cake, I have doubled the recipe, so that I could cut into several pieces. At the party, some friends complained that they did not even have a bite, as the cake was a sold-out towards the end of the day. Now, here goes the recipe... as adapted from my  recipe book aptly named "CAKES" by Rachel Lane and Carla Bardi.

Cake

1 1/2 cup s (225g) all purpose (plain) flour
3/4 cup (150g) sugar - you can use 1/2 cup of brown sugar and 3 tbsp of fine sugar (to reduce the sweetness of the cake)
3 large eggs
1/2 cup (125g) butter, softened
1/3 cup (90ml) milk
1 tbsp finely grated lemon zest
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tsp of lemon juice

Lemon Frosting

1 1/2 cups (225g) icing sugar
2 tbsp butter, melted
2 tbsp freshly squeezed  lemon juice
1 tbsp of fresh milk
2 tbsp shredded (dessicated) coconut
Lemon zest - 2tbsp

1) Preheat the oven 350F (180C/ Gas 4). { I used 150C-electric oven- for about 7-8 mins}.Lightly grease a 9 inch (23cm) square pan.
2) For the cake- beat the flour, sugar, eggs, butter, milk, lemon zest, baking powder, salt and lemon juice in a large bowl with an electric mixer at low speed until well blended. Increase the mixer speed to medium and beat until pale and thick, 3-4 mins. Spoon the batter into prepared pan.
3) Bake for 40-45 mins, or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean. Cool the cake completely in the pan on a rack.
4) To prepare the frosting, beat the icing sugar and butter in a medium bowl. Beat in milk, lemon zest and enough lemon juice to make a spreadable frosting. Spread the cake with the frosting, and sprinkle with the coconut.

Happy baking every one...







2 comments:

a.i.d.a. said...

menarik ni...I must try the recipe

nizaineese said...

Yes, you must dear... Very easy

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...