Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Carrot and Walnut Cake

 Carrot and Walnut Cake
- frosted with cream cheese icing, topped with roasted walnuts, silver beads, chopped roasted walnuts and maraschino cherries.


I went rustic this time..... Again, it's a 3.30 in the morning- baking mission

Carrots are said to have beneficial effects to our health- eating carrots will reduce the risk of CVD (cardiovascular diseases)

This is definitely a postponed entry. I have baked this cake two weeks ago, as requested by my elder sister, N- who wanted to bring this to her potluck party. She asked me to bake Carrot Cake, it meant specifically THE Carrot Cake...from the recipe that I had given her before. I had given her the recipe, taken from my book CAKE, as she was failing in her attempt to bake an ideal  carrot cake, by following a recipe from the net. She almost gave up, until I searched for the recipe in my book. Well, truthfully, I have so many baking and cake books in my book shelves, that sometimes I do not realise some hidden gems right in front of my eyes. I had baked this cake before, and it received very warm reviews from friends, that is why when ever I think of carrot cakes, I always think about this cake. This cake does not use vege oil/ corn oil as usually found in any normal carrot cake- it uses butter. I do not know how to describe the texture of this wonderful baking joy, as I seldom having the last piece,  it's always a hit with everybody including my sister's friends in the office. Up until today, one particular friend kept saying all the good things  about this cake when ever she mentions Carrot Cake to me... Since, it's a winning, fail-proof cake, what better way to share this recipe, so that everybody could whip this any time they  want to have a melt-in the mouth sweet experience.... Here goes :-


Cake

2 1/3 cups (350g) all-purpose flour (plain)
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp  baking powder
1 tsp baking soda ( bicarb. of soda)
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp ground cloves ( I omitted this- there's no ready made ground cloves, too lazy to ground it on my own)
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2  cups( 375g) butter, softened ( I have used SCS unsalted butter - if you use the normal salted butter, please omit salt in this recipe)
2 cups (400g) caster sugar  ( I have used 1 cup of soft brown sugar, and 1/2 cup of white caster sugar)
2 tsp vanilla essence
4 large eggs
2 cups ( 200gs) finely grated carrots
1 1/2 cups (200g) fairly finely chopped walnuts ( I have roasted the walnuts in the oven before chopping them) - {You can use pecans as well- they are definitely the bests}
1/3 cup (40g) raisins


Cream Cheese Frosting

1 ( 8 ounce/250g) package cream cheese, softened
1/3 cup ( 90g) butter. softened
2 1/2  cups (375g) icing sugar
1 tsp finely grated lemon zest
2 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
Walnut halves, to decorate


How

1) Preheat oven to 150C (electric oven, conventional), for about 8-10 mins.... {I have lowered the temperature. Originally it was 350F (180C/ gas 4)}.
2) Lightly grease and flour a 9 inch ( 23cm ) springform pan. {I have greased and lined the baking pan with baking parchment}.
3) Batter- Combine flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, ginger, nutmeg, cloves and salt in a large bowl. In another bowl, (preferably stainless steel baking bowl), beat butter, sugar and vanilla with an electric mixer at medium speed until pale and creamy.
3) Add eggs one at a time, into the butter and sugar batter- beating until just combined after each addition. With mixer on low speed, gradually beat in the dry ingredients. Stir in carrots, walnuts and raisins.Spoon the batter into the prepared pan.
4) Bake for 45- 55 mins. or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Cool the cake in the pan for 10 mins. Loosen and remove the pan sides. Invert the cake onto the a rack. Loosen and remove the pan bottom and let cool completely.
5. To prepare the frosting, beat the cream cheese, butter, icing sugar and lemon zest and juice in a large bowl until creamy and smooth. Spread the cake with the frosting. Decorate as you please...


I have used Sultana raisins in this recipe
  
Walnuts and shells


On a final note, what a better way to celebrate happy moments rather than baking your own carrot cake... Well, "Happy days ahead, every one."... May cakes rule your heart, and carrots and walnuts make you happy and healthy....

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...