Saturday, November 17, 2012

No Butter Muffins- The Recipe



Chocolate Muffins

Seeing is believing, they say. I have never thought that my entry in No Butter Muffins would gain popularity. I had done this post in October 2010, without writing its  recipe as I thought that they were no big deal muffins. That was the first and last I had attempted that recipe, not because those muffins were no good, simply because I had hundreds of other recipes to be tried. However, I was definitely wrong. Time to time, I had encountered key words on no butter muffins on my statistic page. Therefore, I have decided to  write an entry on these no butter muffins.


Blueberry muffins - I used fresh blueberries
 








Plump chocolate muffins


These muffins do not really use butter at all. Instead, the recipe calls for the use of milk. No oil or whatsoever.  When I first baked these muffins back in  2010, I have altered the use of semi-skimmed milk in the recipe. I replaced it with fresh full-cream milk, simply because I loved the taste of full cream milk. I have got this recipe from my Good Housekeeping Cook book. What caught my eyes was the non-existence use of butter. All right, enough of "blabbering", I've got tonnes of house work to be done, so here goes the recipe ;

Ingredients

2 medium eggs
250 ml ( 9fl oz) fresh full-cream milk
250 g (9 oz) soft brown sugar
2 tsp vanilla
350g (12 oz) plain flour
4 tsp baking powder
250g (9 oz) blueberries ( you can use frozen ones - I used fresh blueberries)
finely grated zest of 2 lemons

How

1) Preheat oven to  150C ( I used conventional electric oven).
2) Line muffin tin with paper cases
3) Put the eggs, milk, sugar and vanilla into a bowl and mix well
4) In another bowl, sift together the flour and baking powder. Add in blueberries and lemon zest.     Toss together and make a well in the centre.
5) Put the egg mixture into the flour and blueberries and mix in gently, over-beating will make the muffins hard/ tough. Divide the mixture equally between the paper cases.
6) Bake for 20-25 minutes until risen and just firm. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. They are best eaten on the very day they are baked.

## Double Chocolate Chip Muffins
Omit the blueberries and lemon zest. Instead, replace 40g (1 1/2 oz) of the flour with cocoa powder, then add 150g (5oz) chopped dark chocolate to the dry ingredients in Step 4.

Now, you have it- No Butter Muffins.  Happy baking, everyone....

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...